When you visit a cannabis dispensary, the abundance of choices might feel overwhelming. Among these choices, you’ll encounter the distinctions between marijuana flower buds, typically categorized into three primary classes: Indica, Sativa, and Hybrid.
They all belong to the same species, yet selective breeding has endowed them with distinct characteristics. The numerous strains available today have evolved through decades of crossbreeding, resulting in what we refer to as hybrid strains.
But what exactly are these “hybrids”?
Table of Contents
- Key Takeaways:
- Hybrid Strain and Genetic Makeup
- Origin of Hybrid Cannabis
- Attributes of Hybrid Cannabis
- General Effects of Hybrid
- Hybrid Selection to Explore
- Frequently Asked Questions
- A hybrid is the result of crossing Sativa and Indica genes.
- Hybrid cannabis can produce various effects depending on the dominant genetic traits.
- Hybrids offer multiple therapeutic benefits for various conditions due to their diverse cannabinoid, terpene, and flavonoid profiles.
Hybrid Strain and Genetic Makeup
Hybrid cannabis strains result from crossbreeding two or more cultivars (plants of a specific strain) to generate a new strain. Breeders give this new strain a name that reflects its parent strains. For instance, when Blueberry and Triple OG were crossbred, the resulting hybrid was appropriately named Crunch Berries.
Depending on the genetic component of the parent strains, hybrids can maintain a balance between Indica and Sativa characteristics or lean toward one side or the other. This creates a distinctive experience when consumed.
While you might have preconceived notions about how your body reacts to Indica or Sativa strains, a hybrid that combines both can yield a different outcome.
Origin of Hybrid Cannabis
Cannabis cultivators initiated the practice of genetic crossbreeding to enhance both yields and the quality of buds.
Breeders would select male and female plants for pollination based on their desired attributes. In the mid-twentieth century, growers began merging genetics from mould-resistant Sativa strains and fast-flowering Indicas to enhance the commercial cultivation of cannabis varieties.
During the initial generations of hybrid strains, characteristics could vary widely and exhibit relative instability. Breeders perform a process known as backcrossing, in which they cross the new hybrid strain with a genetic clone or its parental strains once again. This backcrossing procedure is employed to enhance the consistency and stability of traits in subsequent generations of hybrids.
Attributes of Hybrid Cannabis
Cannabis enthusiasts favour hybrid strains for their distinctive blend of traits, which include:
- Potency: Hybrid strains exhibit greater potency than their parent strains, which results in heightened effectiveness.
- Flavour: Hybrids are known for their intriguing and unique flavour profiles due to the combination of parent strain flavours.
- Effects: These strains provide diverse effects, from uplifting to sedative qualities.
- Medicinal Advantages: Hybrid strains bring many medicinal benefits, including pain alleviation, anxiety mitigation, and appetite enhancement.
General Effects of Hybrid
Plant genetics significantly influence the effects of cannabis consumption. Sativa-dominant hybrids impart more uplifting sensations, whereas Indica-dominant strains tend to induce greater relaxation.
The Sativa vs. Indica classification only partially explains a strain’s effects. It’s equally necessary to consider factors such as the THC and CBD ratio, less-known cannabinoids, and individual terpenes. All these elements contribute to how a hybrid strain functions.
Familiarity with these variables can assist consumers in selecting an appropriate strain. Determining the precise effects of a hybrid strain before consumption can be challenging. The best approach when trying a new strain is to commence with a small quantity and consume it gradually.
Hybrid Selection to Explore
Biscotti is a potent hybrid marijuana strain, primarily Indica-dominant, created by crossing Gelato 25 with Sour Florida OG. This strain induces a cerebral high that imparts a sense of relaxation and creativity. The effects of Biscotti are known to emerge gradually, so consume it slowly and in moderation.
With a THC content of around 21%, medical marijuana patients often turn to this strain to alleviate symptoms related to stress, anxiety, and depression.
White Rhino is an Indica-dominant hybrid strain, with approximately 80% Indica and 20% Sativa genetics. This distinguished strain delivers a tranquillizing high that is perfect for providing a swift mood lift before lulling you into a deep and serene sleep.
The onset of the high is almost immediate upon exhaling. This soothing effect sweeps away any negative emotions or thoughts and replaces them with pure contentment and tranquillity. This profound sense of calm gradually blankets your entire being and leads to complete relaxation from head to toe.
Its average THC content ranges from 18% to 22%.
Grease Monkey is a predominantly Indica hybrid strain. The high is gradual, beginning by intensifying behind the eyes before taking hold suddenly. You’ll experience a euphoric wave of relaxation that envelops your mind. This effect progressively transitions into drowsiness, gently soothing the mind and body into a profoundly sedated state.
THC content averages between 25% to 27%.
Pineapple Chunk is another distinctive hybrid strain, primarily Indica in nature. The term “heavy effect” signifies a notably strong and stoning sensation unsuitable for social gatherings or events. Medical users employ Pineapple Chunk to treat chronic pain and severe depression.
THC levels are almost 26%.
Snoop Dogg OG
Snoop Dogg OG is a predominantly Indica hybrid strain. This strain pays homage to the renowned rapper Snoop Dogg. Snoop Dogg OG is distinguished by its remarkably high THC content, typically between 22% and 28%.
Users of Snoop Dogg OG say the high produces waves of exhilaration and creativity that get stronger over time. The uplifting cerebral effect shifts into a balanced focus with mild couch lock and a heightened appetite. Given its potent effects, Snoop Dogg OG is an excellent choice for people looking for relief from chronic pain, stress, anxiety, and muscle spasms.
Hybrid strains dominate the cannabis industry today. The days of producing pure Sativa or Indica strains are largely behind us. The focus is on crafting intriguing hybrids that offer a wide range of flavours and effects. The variety of hybrid options available is vast, so take your time exploring and selecting the one that aligns with the specific effect you desire.
GrassLife is a cannabis dispensary that provides mail-order marijuana services across Canada. Our online shop offers a convenient browsing experience for you to explore our wide range of hybrid strains. We offer a vast selection to ensure you find the perfect strain that aligns with your desired effects and benefits.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to differentiate Indica, Sativa, and Hybrid?
|Plant||Short and bushy||Tall and slender||Varies|
|Effects||Relaxing, sedating||Uplifting, energizing||Depending on the dominant strain|
|Time use||Night time||Daytime||Depending on the dominant strain|
How do you know if hybrid is suitable for you?
With the diverse range of hybrid cannabis available, you can find one that suits your preferences and needs perfectly. Hybrid cannabis strains cater to a broad spectrum of users, including:
- First-time users: You have the option to select from an extensive range of low-THC, CBD-rich strains to acquaint yourself with the effects of cannabis.
- Medical patients: A variety of strains are available, each with the specific cannabinoids and terpenes needed to provide relief for your particular medical condition.
- Recreational users: Balanced hybrid strains, such as those with a 50/50 Sativa-Indica ratio, can unwind or boost energy levels without risking excessive drowsiness or hyperactivity.
What are the benefits of hybrid?
Hybrids offer numerous advantages. They deliver a well-rounded high, combining Indica and Sativa effects. By adjusting the Indica-to-Sativa ratio, one can customize hybrids to meet specific preferences or requirements. For instance, a 50/50 ratio can effectively relieve pain, while a 70/30 ratio may be preferable for addressing anxiety.
In addition to these benefits, hybrid strains can be cost-effective compared to purebred strains and typically yield higher quantities. They are easier to cultivate than purebred varieties and tend to display greater resistance to pests and diseases.
How do you choose a hybrid cannabis?
When selecting a hybrid cannabis strain, several key factors must be considered. The primary considerations include the desired effects and the THC and CBD levels of the strain:
- If you seek a balanced blend of mental and physical effects, a 50/50 hybrid strain is likely your best choice. These strains typically feature an even THC-to-CBD ratio, ideal for relaxation without an overwhelming high.
- If your primary interest lies in the physical benefits of cannabis, a strain with elevated CBD levels may be your preference. These strains are associated with relaxation and relieve pain and inflammation.
- If you are primarily interested in the mental benefits of cannabis, strains with higher THC levels are more suited to your needs. These strains tend to be invigorating and can enhance focus and creativity.
Why do cultivators breed hybrids?
Breeders deliberately create hybrid cannabis strains for specific purposes. Breeders engineer them to produce distinct effects that enhance satisfaction for recreational users and offer more therapeutic benefits.
Some additional reasons for the increasing development of hybrid strains include:
- Precise Cannabinoid Levels: Cannabinoids are the primary compounds responsible for the effects of cannabis strains. With over 100 different cannabinoids in a typical cannabis plant, hybrid strains allow breeders to predict the effects more accurately.
- Customized Size and Appearance: Sativa plants tend to grow tall and tree-like, while Indica plants have a bushier appearance. Hybrid strains can be tailored for size and shape to suit limited growing spaces and meet cultivators’ preferences.
- Optimized Resin Content: Hybrid strains are selectively bred for their resin content. Cannabis resin is essential for creating concentrates like butane hash oil, live resin, and rosin.
- Diverse Terpene Profiles and Flavonoids: Hybrid cannabis strains, combined with essential oils, offer potential medicinal benefits, relaxation, and therapeutic effects.